There is the Instagram version of traveling with kids and then there is what really happens. Here are some real moments that I’ve taken note of over the years of traveling with our children. At the time, some made me laugh, others made me cry, and a few just downright pissed me off. Enjoy.
- After standing in the security line for 30 minutes and you’re 5 minutes away from getting through, your kid yells “I need to pee right now!”
- In one of the largest cities in the world, we explored museums, historical sites, and tried new food. They declare that their favorite thing about the entire trip was the ice cream.
- You want to instill independence in your kids so you allow them to pack their own carry-on. They pack their backpack full of the heaviest toys they own, insisting they can carry it. Epic battle ensues. You relent because it’s not the sword you want to die on. Three minutes after you leave the house, they complain about how much their shoulders hurt.
- In a jet-lagged state, you less than enthusiastically take them to the Tokyo Tower because it’s the most exciting building they see from the hotel. When you arrive at the top, they ask where the tower is so that they can get a picture of the tower. Then they whine about not being able to see the tower.
- You walk into a lovely family owned German bakery that smells of rye and other goodness. Your child loudly declares “It smells disgusting in here!”
- The flight you just boarded makes you walk through the first-class section. Your child loudly demands that he gets first class as well….several times throughout the flight.
- Your first night in Barcelona isn’t filled with wandering the streets drinking sangria and eating tapas. Instead, you are sitting in the apartment channel surfing for Spanish cartoons.
- They insist they need to poop “right now.” You remind them that they held it for 6 days in Tokyo because they were afraid of the Japanese toilets.